Arquivo

Tags

Popular Posts

Parcerias

Blogroll

Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Review: Princesses Don't Get Fat, by Aya Ling

Princesses Don't Get Fat
by Aya Ling
Published in: 2013
Nr. Pages: 136
Summary:
Princess Valeria of Amaranta is fat, but she doesn’t care. All she wants to do is to eat and lead an idle life. When it becomes apparent she cannot get a husband, her mother decides to send her to the Royal Riviera Academy of Fighting Arts. For a chubby princess who has never picked up a sword, life at the Academy is torture. Worst of all, the food is terrible.

Valeria decides to improve Rivieran cuisine by sneaking into the palace kitchens and offering her expertise, never expecting the crown prince would take interest in her kitchen excursions. As they spend more time together, the princess must decide whether she should become thin or stay in the kitchens with her beloved desserts and remain fat.

Rating: 3,5/5

Review: 
A while ago I wrote a post about books with plus-size heroines that have skinny girls on their covers. This always struck me as strange; I mean who are this skinny girls? Why do they appear on the cover instead of the heroine? The questions went on and on with no end and after a while I stopped looking for books with plus-size heroines so I wouldn't have a fit every time I saw the covers.
A couple of days ago however I decided to check my recommendations on GoodReads and found myself looking at the book Princesses Don't Get Fat by Aya Ling. I have to admit the summary made the book seam funny and light but the main thing that made me curios about Princesses Don't Get Fat was the girl in the cover. Why? Because she is plus-size and she is rocking a green dress that would look awful on me.
So being said I decided to get the e-book and read it. If you are looking for a very deep book with politics and all those shenanigans that high fantasy books are made of you better step-back.  Princesses Don't Get Fat is 136 pages of fairytale delight about a princess who is actually fat and loves to it. It's even better when you understand that she doesn't mind being fat, she is perfectly happy eating her deserts and having her gowns stretched to fit her. Like most fairy tales the queen decides to intervene and sends the princess to a camp so she can lose some of her weight. This was the twist that I was most afraid of because when this happens normally our main characters suddenly decides she wants to get thin or gets thin because of the workout and then gets all happy that she is finally thin because inside her little heart she always wanted to be thin.
Now I have two things to say about this type of story line:
1) It's true, some girls really want to be thin inside their hearts, they pretend to be happy being fat but they aren't, unfortunately most lack the strength to do something about it (others due to medical conditions can't do a thing about it which is worse) and because stories like these are real there should be books about it.
2) I was getting sick of it, because they were all like this. Even poor Bridget Jones was constantly on a diet and truth being said I just wanted a fat girl that was happy to be fat and that remained fat. (So thank you Aya Ling, THANK YOU!) Why? Because that's a feeling I can relate to. Now I won't say I never did a diet but I do have to confess I did it for health reasons.
Another reason that draw me to this book was the title itself. I found it funny and witty, specially because you have a fat princess on the cover. The story is funny and charming and it does have a fairy tale sense to it. I liked Aya Ling's writing and will try to check her other e-books when I get the time.
All and all it was a funny, charming and witty book that will make you droll at the deserts, so do stock up in sweets when you read it.

Edit 13/11/2013: Podem fazer download oficial e gratuito do livro na SmashWords aqui.

Comentários