Arquivo

Tags

Popular Posts

Parcerias

Blogroll

Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Review: Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue

Kissing the Witch 
by Emma Donoghue
Edição/reimpressão: 2013
Páginas: 288
Editor: Picador
Resumo:
Thirteen tales are unspun from the deeply familiar, and woven anew into a collection of fairy tales that wind back through time. Emma Donoghue reveals heroines young and old in unexpected alliances - sometimes treacherous, sometimes erotic, but always courageous. Told with luminous voices that shimmer with sensuality and truth, these age-old characters shed their antiquated cloaks to travel a seductive new landscape, radiantly transformed. Cinderella forsakes the handsome prince and runs off with the fairy godmother; Beauty discovers the Beast behind the mask is not so very different from the face she sees in the mirror; Snow White is awakened from slumber by the bittersweet fruit of an unnamed desire.

Rating: 4.5/5

Review:
As soon as I heard about this book I knew I had to get it! As you know I love fairytales and I love reading new takes on then, unfortunately most dark twists on fairytales tend to involve a lot of sex which is really not what I am looking for, however Emma Donoghue crafts an amazing chain of tales that are familiar and yet new.
The stories are linked because as each one finish one of the characters (usually the love interest) will then go on to tell their own backstory which then links to another story. This keeps the book flowing and better still gives you a new perspective on these late showing characters as suddenly they aren't just part of the main characters tale but have a tale of their own.
I really liked the way the tales linked together and the stories picked were both known and unknown specially the last one which I think is an original as I don't recall ever reading a fairytale remotely similar to it (this was also one of my favorites!).
I loved the way Emma Donoghue writes and will keep myself in the loop of her future fairytale related books, as I tend to do with authors I love. Emma Donoghue is mostly known for her book Room that was recently turned into a movie.
Kissing the Witch is also a LGBT friendly book and we get a lot of lady love (which is really not surprising I mean it's in the title).
This is a book I would recommend for fairytale lovers without a second though. I give it 4 stars in GoodReads but it's a 4.5 stars book at heart!


 Cat / Ki

Known bookaholic and writer at weekends. Cat loves books and everything that's related to them. From time to time she has very strong feelings and opinions about books and the world and she likes writes about them (mostly in her blog Encruzilhadas Literárias). She also has a personal GoodReads account and she believes the world is a better place for it (AKA no more repeated books from relatives as gifts). She lives in the UK and can often be found either in Waterstones or the Charity Shops.

Comentários